New Mackerel2 For Your Fishing Pleasure!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

New Mackerel2 For Your Fishing Pleasure!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi Everyone:

I just made a Mackerel2 for your ocean fishing pleasure. This is the greenish colored one found off the coast of California and Mexico. It is not a big fish but it is quite prevalent in coastal waters. You will find this new fish in the forthcoming California Kelp Beds outing.

Here are some pictures of the new Mackerel2. As Roger would say, this one looks good enough for the frying pan! :lol:

I think you will have fun catching this one along with the other fish found in the California Kelp Beds. :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: New Mackerel2 For Your Fishing Pleasure!

Postby wyldechylde77 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Looking really good as always Stanley! Am looking forward to this outing. But, I have two questions for you: A) I see you've made the Kelp Bass and Leopard Shark as well, for the outing. Will we see the Spotted Bay Bass is this one as well? And B), the mackerel looks terrific, but is it a Spanish Mackerel or King Mackerel? Looks more like a King Mackerel in my opinion, although I may be wrong.
wyldechylde77

Postby rwwalleye » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:43 am

Hi Stanley and Everyone,
You are definitely right on your comment Stanley, It definitely does look excellent and also my fillet knife is already sharpened and ready for use. Also as the particular artist that you are, your new shark is another example of your fine work. Roger
rwwalleye

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:42 am

Hi Roger, Chuck and Everyone:

There are many fish around the world that are called Mackerel. Chuck, if you are interested this is very interesting read in Wikipedia re Mackerel. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackerel

The one that I used here would be called Pacific Mackerel. This fish is very similar to the Atlantic Mackerel. (Also known as the Boston Mackerel in the US) It grows to a maximum of 25 inches and might weight as much as 6 lbs. The Pacific Mackerel is found along the Pacific Coast in the US and they are a lot of fun to catch as they swim just under the water surface in big schools. You catch one then you are likely to catch another one in the same area.

Spanish Mackerel grows to a much larger size than the common Pacific Mackerel and has a different coloration and pattern to their skins. The Spotted Bay Bass is found further South and are prevalent around the Southern California and Mexican Coasts. I might not use this fish in the "Kelp Bass" outing as it would steal the focus from the Kelp Bass, my main fish for this outing. Their appearance are very similar except for very subtle fin and color differences. :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:57 am

Hi Everyone:

Here is a pictures of the Mackerel2 in my private fish pond. Nice little fish! :lol: Caught a lot of these off the coast of San Diego, CA

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby wyldechylde77 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:06 am

Hi Stanley,

Thanks for the Mackerel info bud. The term covers quite a few of them I see! So your model is a likeness of the Pacific Mackerel then, I see. Pretty cool, bud.
And I sure hear ya about the Kelp Bass being the star of the show LOL! Again, thank you for the info about the Spotted Bat Bass. Wasn't sure how far South they were located. Learn something new everyday!
Also, keep an eye on your email, bud. You might have something in there very soon. ;-)
wyldechylde77

Return to Real World Fly Fishing