Frustrating Day...A Nice Fish!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Frustrating Day...A Nice Fish!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi Everyone:

If we can compare our Mad Dash Challenge to auto racing, it would be the 24 hours of Le Mans. The ultimate challenge of luck, skill and endurance. A lot of concentration and tons of coffee will be required to complete the Challenge with a good score! I had a frustrating day yesterday when I had everything going just right and caught several very good fish and was well on my way to beat my previous score. Guess what? My screen suddenly went black and I thought the computer had crashed. Hell no, it was the Microsoft update that shut the computer down! I jumped up and down a few times and said some nasty words. Then I checked the update schedule and it was my own fault. I had set the time to 3:00 AM Sunday morning myself. Oh well, the big one that got away! :oops: :lol:

I was able to catch a decent size fish through all this though. Slightly bigger than Barns's best and just shy of Doc's. Doc's fish will be hard to beat as landing the big fish is not easy in this outing challenge. I've had a few that spooled me and cannot be landed. Congratulations to Doc for doing such a great job catching the big one.

Here is the fish I caught before the screen went black!

Fish: 58.10 inch Jumping Muskie from Sw St. Lawrence River Sultry Dusk; Code: SXCJQPEONKLIV4781DLKPMPJXUUHBYCRLLMFDLIBEJRXNYVMTQOCGKQTMUDVI

Watch out, Uncle Barnsie, we are still after your record! :twisted:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Frustrating Day...A Nice Fish!

Postby Barns » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Stanley

Nice fish. I know the feeling, after a terrible day fishing on Saturday i decided to have another go last night, oh boy what a start 55.35, 53.00, 52.00, 54.65, 35.82 then we came to Roger's favourite site no 6. First cast hooked another big fish played for 20 mins just got to net when it threw hook. There was more than a few choice words. :x

Then the usual not a touch, tried for over an hour, all the fish came to surface just to laugh. I was well on way to a huge score, i will probably not see that again this week.

I fear the worst happening this week, someone from further down the list going to have a late run and over take both of us.

Good luck to everyone, i know everyone is capable of doing it. My dark horse for doing it will be Doc.

Regards

Barns
Barns

Postby rwwalleye » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi Stanley and Barns,
I know what the both of you mean by frustrations. Luckily I get stuck on site one. I think I may redownload the outing and start over. Site one knows I'm coming and like Barns said, they just come up to the surface to laugh. If I do get past site one as Barns says site 6, Roger's site bites me in the rear. I got one good score which was a 6565 where I had lost 3 huge fish, but at least I made it through. Recently if I get past site one I catch large fish but not the big ones that like to throw the hook. Then the big bite in the rear again. Will redownload this evening and try again and will also update all entries at that time. Good luck to everyone, and Doc don't give up you'll eventually hit a good streak. Talk to you all soon. Roger
rwwalleye

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi Roger and Barns and Everyone:

Hahaha! Going at this rate sooner or later we will develop all kinds of little rituals like fishing dances, burning of inscents and offerings to the fish gods to give us good luck. I am still looking for that little magic fly, line and weight combination that would bring me a 50 inch fish with every cast but so far I have not found it. :lol:

Actually I think it is pretty cool that we have all been a little frustrated with getting through the outing challenge. No, I am not a masochist by any means but let me ask you this.How often do we spend so much time fishing our little game recently?

After spending what seemed hours in front of the computer I have come to appreciate several things about our RWFF. They are:

1)I marveled at the incredible physics that Paul has managed to put into this small (by comparison to some of the more recent specialty games) foot print of a game. Some of the actions are just about as life-like as you can get into a fishing simulator, including the feeding cycle of the fish that we had so much trouble with. In real fishing one would run into hot and cold streaks, good days and bad days, etc. So like they say, it is almost like the real thing.

2)How far the game had come along since 4-5 years ago when all the fish were smaller, the scenes simple and alike and all the fish fought about the same way, big or small. Nowadays we have fish smashing a top water fly from beneath the water surface, dancing on top of the water when they are hooked. struggling to get away from you and you can actually "see" the fish doing that. A Steelhead that didn't look like a Whitefish, etc. We have put a lot of work and innovation into the game and it is well worth it. If you don't believe me then go back and fish some of the older outings done four or five years ago and you will see what I am talking about.

3)I actually had a lot of free time watching everything that was happening on the computer screen when the fish took a long rest and refused to bite at anything that I offered them. I think the scenes are so-o much better these days, portrayed with nice water movement and good line flow. Some of the colors on the scenes were just wonderful to watch even when the fish were not biting. The occasional dimpling of the surface by a fish excited me into quickly switching to dry flies with hands trembling, again, just like the real thing. This is simulation at it's very best! :P Thanks Paul again for a wonder software!

4)The ability to use many different fish in the same outing. Many of the older outings had only a handful of fish (if that many) species in them and they were pretty consistent throughout the scenes. Nowadays they come huge, or small and in all different flavors. In Martin's excellent St. Lawrence River outing once I hooked something I knew immediately what it was by the feel of the pull and weight, and also by the way they fight underwater. I can always tell when I hooked a Splake, for instance. This fish was not set up to jump when hooked and it always came in swimming like a weighted log. Same cannot be said about the big Bass, Pike, Muskie and Steelheads though. They come to life after being hooked and they try to get away from the fisherman doing runs, pulls and dances and sometimes they succeed in doing that and this is pretty cool. All this was achieved through hours of working with fish and jumping parameters and creation of new fish species. Thanks to all the fish builders and innovative outing makers this is all possible now. :lol:

5)In the more recent outings, the outing creator was able to add a lot of different sound effects to enhance your fishing experience, whether they are chirps of the birds, howling sound of a wolf or even real music files. In the old days we used very few sound effects in our outings even though the sound tracks files were always there. I cannot end without mentioning the flow of the current and waves within the scenes. In the old days of NIS it was almost impossible to render a stream scene without having it appear "wavy" like the ocean tides. Nowadays our outing makers are using another water animation software and we can achieve all kinds of different water flows and this greatly added to the visual quality of the scenes. We have never had everything as good as now!

I still remember a comment made by one of the original purist members who is no longer with us, he said "rwff has been made into a children's game" (by the then new innovations and techniques) and he found it very objectionable. He left the game in anger and disdain. This gentleman should try the RWFF that we have now. I'd bet the game will turn him into a "Vintage Smiling Child" in just a couple of hours and he will have the time of virtual fishing life playing our fun little simulator.

Anyway, enough reminiscing and I am going back to try to break Barns' records :P Maybe the fishing Gods will be with me in the next couple of hours. My Dark Horse pick for the tournament would be Roger. He loves the game and is very good under pressure! :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing