Killarney

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Killarney

Postby Doc » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:47 am

Hi guys

I'm off to Killarney with Jeannie (the missus) 10th - 20th May (bridge competition). If I get chance to look into how to make outings before we go I'll try to take appropriate images of the odd lake and river while I'm there. Southern Ireland has some beautiful scenery. Any tips on what images to take (I'll check the guides as well). I appreciate that they take quite a time to make and that I would probably make a very poor job of it with such a lack of fishing knowledge and background - I could even pass the images to an expert lol! But I intend at least dabbling into making the occasional outing, even if it's just to appreciate the efforts of others 8)

Cheers

Dave (Doc)
Doc

Re: Killarney

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:13 am

Hi Doc:

Yes, Ireland has some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet and you are lucky to live in that part of the world. As far as pictures for outings go. Ideally the picture should be shot from a fisherman's eye view, meaning at standing level and close to the water. One third or one half of the picture should be land, the rest water. Shots taken from a tall bridge or a high vantage point usually do not work too well. Pictures should be in a fairly high definition even though we will need to reduce it to 1024x768 for outing making. A higher definition picture will allow some cropping and editing without losing too much detail. Try to get a variety of shots, some from distance and some up close to add variety to the outing. Sometimes some objects like brush, trees, log, rocks, and structures like a bridge, a rock wall flanking the sides of the pictures will give it more of a perspective and depth effect. The important thing to remember is to leave enough space for the water or the perspective in our game will have a hard time depicting a natural fishing scene.

Nowadays with digital photography the lightness, darkness and colors can be adjusted via photo editing so that is no longer a critical issue. Try to shoot some unique scenes to use as the highlight shots for your outing. Also try to capture something, a landmark or scenes typical for your location so it looks different than other outings. Outing building is both fun and addictive. With you computer skills your should be able to do one fairly easily. I have uploaded a 4 part tutorial on YouTube dealing with outing building. You might like to take a look there when you find some free time during your trip. You can find the Part 1 here:

http://youtu.be/knwRP1XQGHY

Good luck and have fun!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Killarney

Postby Doc » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:42 am

Thanks yet again Stanley - you're a hero!
Doc

Return to Real World Fly Fishing