Some Of My Catches In The First Few Days

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Some Of My Catches In The First Few Days

Postby Doc » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi

Here's a few of my catches up to now!
Here's my first Expert level catch - staying on this level from now on!

Here's some from Experienced level in my first 3 days here 8)

After having a great time with the Slate Run outing, I tried the Mighty Yellowstone River 1 - here's some of the results :

Fish: 32.12 inch RainbowTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: KPYIDLFHVGVQ0748PRSUGIIWXPNSAUYNQHBNVMRRITXJLNVPY4HFNQBQPNLTS
Fish: 21.48 inch Mountain Whitefish from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: BVTVHQAWCTFM9011WRGFNBYIBRZBFQHRECUBHRHJSWVHBBZUW7CVFWLLBRBMU
Fish: 19.32 inch BrookTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: PAUXXSYQDPSS2621TSZVEPZFOJTXDTJYMJESQWAVTUDVTEGLA0OQOBTMQKQJO
Fish: 19.76 inch BrookTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: TVFAQCGQUAXI7167YRAUXREMPCLWINTLDAFLOXWRPHXGGDNEA6EAIQCOAQSHR
Fish: 18.58 inch BrookTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: DKSRRCJYNUGX5891HGGSGLGHPKHMBOPINZPLCXXZOKHPGBDVF4FRIDTBSRRWR
Fish: 18.95 inch BrookTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: JGNDXKRVNAHA8307DYHHGLVYURFAJRORDZRJGWMTQNGZYPPLU0SYIZQWHLZGB
Fish: 24.11 inch Mountain Whitefish from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: BPDUWQPSXKEW0865NGZNQLIHIXYAZOBRHMJVIRFAXOASQHBXK6YYQGPORYZGB
Fish: 16.53 inch BrookTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: GUVMNOVQVAYH5172HWUQKGNMRPSKIEBZJAZSQAWFLUZDJEKUR1YGWHXWGWPIY
Fish: 26.92 inch BrownTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: UBVBNETRZTYM5413IBPELHUNIWMXWPZGHQQRUXQJTPREZFLBF9IXYGYLIGRWR
Fish: 16.63 inch BrookTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: CIYOINRDTVIG3515OPRLICSMPJTNZBOJNHKEHPVGAQKXXWOGC9JSUDOPZDZJM
Fish: 20.56 inch Jumping Brown Trout from C L Slate Run, Pennsylvania; Code: DFOQFFORATYA5964ZGWLXXPMHKYLGQLLYBHEQCHJUREPGNTPCJSFUOHHQTMFI
Fish: 20.28 inch YSCutthroatTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: YKRGOMLDOZYF1684LNLRTVASEJBTINWYFBNGOPZNXCOUBRVHV0ZVFXOTXXJGP
Fish: 16.20 inch BrookTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: DMGJYCSTOKYH3213LKQYQQMTTQZVTHLJDQEBEOGRVYQLDHFMX9DFTFNOFDYTZ
Fish: 25.51 inch RainbowTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: ZSAVQEZKLNXM5193DEZBGQGCWWITYUMRBSLSHEDPHNXKCYRTD8ZRJNIUCRPYE
Fish: 22.96 inch Mountain Whitefish from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: XHORKIHJDVKN0280JEQNPNEVNXVCFMTVPJWAFAWYCFRIHVVTW7NKPOZFHPHPM
Fish: 20.82 inch YSCutthroatTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: DRKIYTKOIQAU5166IJBYAZEKAQAFPFYGZOMIWNRESWCHKTLKG4RRPYAIHMXCT
Fish: 22.38 inch Mountain Whitefish from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: HUMLQPBNNTAB5281CKYTVXUGCJOIDQOXTCPZJQPZSIMHCLXSK4MAPRUMNNWHJ
Fish: 20.70 inch YSCutthroatTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: QUIOQPEBJFSA5443DNRTCUUNRKLSEOLUJFHRWTBQDOJHFRRKZ4NYNBGONJVUG
Fish: 18.13 inch BrookTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: ARAMAHTRHBUL7526QQPHSJSCHKTTULCTNTAFSSNYFOXBVXIPB8IAVGNLTHTOV
Fish: 19.31 inch BrookTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: SAFHUWHOFDWJ1350SBCFVBUTFPBJEVFMXFRVVREAGKQBJAKFE8XHGXZBVGHHW
Fish: 24.17 inch YSCutthroatTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: UKARYBKWVDRC9183DHNQHBXBEKXRQHWECOCWRFTOEHWKANWGY2BKYVYOSZMPD
Fish: 26.55 inch BrownTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: OJCZDWDKKODT8530RNBFLSSGHDQBGFSYXXSQMOUHXGVEBOWSS1BSTKXRRUNFQ
Fish: 22.01 inch YSCutthroatTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: JZKDCJWKJWGC3157EHZXXBGEBEJGNDBSRUTLNVCZUIYMNMCVM4CRUAPFXZFBL
Fish: 26.38 inch BrownTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: GEOBGABALDHP8503XMUSBHTCNEOFVNFDCNQQAJHNXRRFLVJSF9TTDRLTNKPTJ
Fish: 24.49 inch BrownTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: HNBBVYMNRBZVX6840QCZJQMIGLKNLRPZOVACPHDLOXJQYSPEJ5AAQIOFVPVZT
Fish: 25.29 inch RainbowTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: KLOYHLDQRFQXD0029FMKQTTENTAQYSHNJIXXRDYZTZMHQQYIE8UDHGAGOOLBQ
Fish: 19.34 inch BrookTrout from CL Mighty Yellowstone River 1; Code: AVKWXPMZKEBYT8202AKEMGCREYRTODVUVUEDOBGQUIILQCEWD5NKSUIUPJOLU

Cheers and have fun,

Dave (Doc)
Doc

Re: Some Of My Catches In The First Few Days

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:22 am

Hi Doc:

Great job! You are coming along just fine. I will try to give you a few tackle size parameters so you can enjoy the RWFF to the fullest as you are probably not familiar with them. Sometime the difficulties of fighting and landing the fish, or the fun of fighting and landing it, would depend on whether you have the right size tackle to do the job or not. Use too small of a rod and leader and it will difficult to fight, if not impossible to landing the big fish. Conversely if you use too big of tackle and you'll take the enjoyment out of catching the smaller fish as they won't be able to put up much of a fight and you'd just be winching them in. Therefore fishing with the right sized tackle for the fishing situation will greatly enhance your experience with RWFF.

Here are some parameters for the various types of fish and sizes:

Rod sizes: 2 to 4 wt are considered ultra light flyrods suitable for Spring Creeks and very Smaller streams. (and smaller trout) 5-8 Wt are medium size and suitable for medium to large fresh water rivers. Most trout, salmon and steelheads can be caught with a 8 weight rod. Anything over that, say size 10-12w are extra heavy, strong rods and probably suited for the bigger and strong fish, casting of sinking lines, etc. This size is also suitable for most of the ocean fish species.

Leader Sizes: Before V.133 "0x" was the largest available and is rated at 16 lbs. I would say for most trout fishing one would use 3X to 6X leader and for the bigger fish like the salmon and steelhead one would use the thicker 0x to 2x leader. The diameter of the leader diminishes as the number increases. e.g. 6x is a lot thinner than 0x. Hope this is not too confusing for you.

In a stream like the Might Yellowstone River that you just fished, (Yellowstone is considered a big Western River) the typical Summer tackle used would be a 8 1/2 to 9 ft graphite flyrod in 6-7 weight. A bigger rod can cast a bigger and heavier fly longer distance with greater ease. On a big river this is a real advantage. One would use a size 10-12 dry fly and sometimes a bigger streamer or weighted nymph (subsurface hatching insect in pupae stage). Too small a rod you will not be able to cast a weighted fly, or into a strong wind which is quite prevalent on the Yellowstone river. In the Fall when the big Brown trout are spawning we would use a 10 ft 10w rod to cast a fast sinking lead core line, thick leader tipped with a big heavily weighted streamer fly. A smaller rod just cannot get the job done. This, my friend, can be a very tiring experience as it takes a lot of effort to cast such a big rod and heavy line across the roaring river. IF you get really lucky you might just be rewarded with a big brown (like the one in your caught picture) that might weigh between 4-8 lbs!

The reason I mentioned all this is because the outing makers tend to set up an outing to "simulate" actual fishing conditions on that particular site. The size of the fish are bloated at times but still within sensible limits. (everybody likes to catch a big fish) Therefore if you used the right size tackle and hooked into a big brown it will give you the kind of fight that you deserve to see as in real fishing. I hope this makes sense to you. :P

I actually think you are the first member to use this simulator without being a real fisherman and I think this is super cool! I hope our little game will open up a whole new world for you because fishing is actually a lot of fun and very good for the mind and soul. If you get lucky you might even bring some delicious fare to your dinner table. Most flyfisherman are catch and release people but in many places where there is an over abundance of fish they actually encourage you to keep all the fish that you catch. This happened to me in New Zealand once and I just couldn't believe it. Over abundance of fish?? Never, but that was the truth! :lol: I took the fish back to the hotel and gave them away to anyone who wanted it.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Most of our members are real fisherman and some are very accomplished at the craft. I hope the above guideline will bring you even more enjoyment to our little game. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Some Of My Catches In The First Few Days

Postby Doc » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:42 am

Many thanks Stanley. As well as the calm therapeutic side to online fishing, the sounds and view which I love, one of the facinations is how to find the fish, tempt them to bite and then land them - a whole load of challenges to the mind as much as anything else - but something that needs a well written programme for all of your efforts to be consistent, but not totally predictable - in other words, do it right and you will be more successful, but no guarentees during any one session.

I think, from my limited time here, that Paul has done a great job in achieving just that. I was a programmer for many years, some of it games programming, so I know how difficult it can be - but unless your intentions are extremely well thought out before you start (sometimes impossible!) you will not succeed. As a game expands you add on more and more - and then realise that if you had structured it differently at the start it would have worked so much better lol! (definitely got that t-shirt!). So you reprogramme it totally from scratch again! Programming is great fun and very rewarding but it can be a pain in the bum sometimes.

Cheers

Dave (Doc)
Doc

Return to Real World Fly Fishing