General Approach To A Site - Help Needed Please

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

General Approach To A Site - Help Needed Please

Postby Doc » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:02 am

I'm loving this! But, as someone with no real fishing experience I have no general approach.
Casting is fine, goes roughly where I want it. Selecting flies is ok, landing fish - rarely lose one 8)
Catching fish by the bucket-load.

So, what's the problem? There's obviously a lot more to it than I've picked up in a few days. Assume that I've read and appreciate the ingame help on rods, flies, casting, landing etc.

My approach is to check the hatch, get the right bait, use a floating line, look for any signs of fish, if none then cast and let the fly drift over the obvious places (use rod movement and line in/out to float to where I want) - careful about disturbing the fish.

This has worked great so far, until I hit a couple of sites where there were no signs of fish and no action. My thoughts were that I need to go below the surface - but what to do - sinkable line?? split leads? Or just wrong! I have no experience of any of these yet.

Should I be looking when i arrive at the water, deep and slow, shallow and fast, shallow and slow etc. and make my first moves based on that? If so, what appraoches in the various cases.

So, my question is, when you arrive at a site, how do you assess how you are going to fish the site, how to you change if you have little or no success?

All help welcome and gratefully received.

Cheers

Dave (Doc)
Doc

Re: General Approach To A Site - Help Needed Please

Postby wyldechylde77 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi Doc,

A good approach to a site is to watch the surface of the water, like you already do. If there are fish rising and picking things off the surface, check your hatch and use a surface fly such as a mayfly or whatever. Of there is little to no surface activity, then you wanna fish subsurface with sinking flies such as streamers, scud, things of that nature. The amount of split shot used will determine how fast the fly sinks, 0=slowly, 3=fast. You wanna go fast sinking in faster water. The stroke indicator also serves as you depth finder also, so to speak. If you set your indicator at 2 feet, you'll be fishing at a depth of 2 feet. Set the indicator for 4 feet, you'll be fishing at a depth of 4 feet, etc. Also, do not worry much about using the sinking line, as the physics are messed up at the moment. Sometimes though, no matter what you do, the fish just will not bite. This also has to do with how the outing creator has set up the outing. Sometimes there are not a lot of fish and they are not cruising or feeding on the surface, so this makes them hard to locate. Just stick with it, you'll get it!
Martin has some really great outings available, some tough, some not so tough. Shameless plug for myself here LOL, but I also have a few easier outings available. Just follow these links:

Horseshoe Lake (Night) - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4933

Bonds Lake - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4910

Also, if you want to see the not-so-serious side of our little community, have some fun with Stanley's Hong Kong Gold Digger:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4948
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4949

Enjoy and let's see some feedback bud!
wyldechylde77

Postby Barns » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi Doc

Watch the site for a couple of minutes, where you see fish moving is a good start. Then if they stop jumping, check hatch, if they say for example scud, set up your sight indicator and try different depths. If fast flowing you may need split shot to keep fly at right depth. Sunk line is not used very often. I can say i have only used in 3 outings in 5 years.

Great you are catching bucket loads of fish, make the most of it. When you move up to expert that will all change. Expert mode gives no lea way, if line slack as in real fishing you will lose fish. If you are too slow , you miss fish. A lot harder but true to real life.

Should have all fish uploaded by Tuesday night.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Barns
Barns

Postby Doc » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks guys - EXACTLY what I was after 8)

Also expert mode sounds like a good move to avoid learning bad habits - I don't mind catching a lot fewer fish, more challenging and more instructive and more fun!

Final one for now! How many flies to you guys have loaded up - the full many hundreds?
Doc

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi Doc:

Good to see you are enjoying the game, and also coached by two of our best on the Forum. You can't go wrong if you followed their suggestions. Yes, Expert Mode is a totally different animal and is very close to real life fishing. We have outings on the Forum with varying degrees of difficulty. Most of them are quite user friendly (easy) but some of them are real hair pullers. If you don't have the right fly/or the right tactics, you will have a hard time catching just one fish. Luckily for many of us, those are in the minority though. :P

You can't beat Experienced Mode for just some casual fishing fun, however, if you want to test your own skills, and the skills of the outing creator, the Expert Mode is the way to go. You will soon notice the difference even in the same outing in a very short time. Why not give it a try though?

There is a really cool feature included with the RWFF software which is the flytying tool feature. If you have some knowledge and patience you can actually create your own custom flies by using the flytying tool. The standard flies included with RWFF are adequate for most fishing situations but custom flies might work better in some instances. Especially when you have to get down really fast to the fish level in fast water. I have uploaded some of my own custom flies for you if your are interested in using them. Just unzip them into your RWFF "flies" folder and you will have some custom flies to fish with. Give them a try and you might have good luck fishing in Expert Mode.

You can download my custom flies via this link.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/734 ... 0Chuck.zip

Have fun and let us know how you are getting along, post some pictures of your catches if possible. :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Doc » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks Stanley - downloaded and installed!

Cheers

Dave
Doc

Return to Real World Fly Fishing