Flying, Jumping and Unwelcomed Silver Asian Carp!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Flying, Jumping and Unwelcomed Silver Asian Carp!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi Everyone:

Here is something a little different for you. I just finished making the Asian Sliver Carp for Martin's forthcoming Philippine outings. The Silver Carp originates in Asia and has great commercial value as a food fish and are usually raised in fish ponds. However, someone had the not so great idea of importing these fish and put them into many Southern streams in the US and these fish attained monstrous size because of the ideal stream habitat. They can grow to five feet in length and weight more than 100 pounds in some of the streams. As these fish are voracious eaters (consuming 40% of their weight in daily feeding) they tend to crowd out many of the local fish and dominate the steams in which they are placed. This unwelcome import is considered a very problematic "invasive" species in many States. They are hunted by fishing tackle, bow and arrow, snag lines and fishing nets.

These fish are very good jumpers and very athletic when hooked or bothered and they take to the air like a Tarpon. Have a look at the pictures and you'll know what I mean. :P

I am back on my main computer now and this makes things a lot easier for me. Hope you'll enjoy seeing the pictures of the Silver Carp, coming soon to a theater near you! :lol:

Regards,

Stanley

Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing