Deschutes River article...

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Deschutes River article...

Postby Cutch » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:19 pm

This article was in our local newspaper this morning. I thought it pertained to RWFF. The author lives in Bend, Oregon, just a few miles from the Deschutes River. :wink:

Click link below to read the article:
SWINGING FOR STEELHEAD

I looked up some of the flies mentioned on the internet and tied them.
You can download the zipped file below:
DESCHUTES RIVER STEELHEAD FLIES

I'm sure these flies would work in most Steelhead streams. :wink:
Put the flies in your FLIES folder in the RWFF game.

One problem: I didn't know where to save these flies (nymphs, wet flies, streamers, ect ?), as so I picked, "I don't know" after I tied the flies.
Cutch

Postby dcarp » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:07 pm

Cutch,

A very nice and timely article, seeings how we'll all be fishing the Dechutes really soon.

The flies are great! Looks like I'll need to add another chapter to the Art of Fly Tying book in the library: Steelhead Dry/Skater Flies.

Thanks for the wonderful contribution.

Tight Lines,

Dave
dcarp

Postby Cutch » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:19 pm

You're welcome Dave.
I forgot one thing though. When I created the flies, I use some weighted items to get the right colors. Some of those flies will sink. What I did was went into the flies folder, opened the each one of the flies, then opened the flies.def folder. I changed all the sinks to 0 and the floats to 3, then saved. Now all the flies I tied float on top and will skate like the article explained. :wink:

But alas, the skating didn't draw any strikes. I went fishing on the Polis River and selected a couple fishing spots that had good rapids. I cast down stream at about a 45 degree (like the article says) and when the line straightened out,...the fly skated. (slipped across the water faster than the line). I tried all the flies several times and realized the Steelhead are NOT programmed to hit skating flies. Is the a correct assumption Paul? Would it be hard to make a small patch so the Steelhead hit skaters? It would be kewl to see these Steelhead hit skating flies :!: :wink:

When I changed the flies.def to sink, they caught most of the fish in the game, including Steelies. :wink:
Cutch

Return to Real World Fly Fishing