Fly fishing with the Nintendo Wii controller

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Fly fishing with the Nintendo Wii controller

Postby paul » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:44 pm

I've got some exciting news: I've been working for some time on getting a Nintendo Wii remote (A.K.A. "wiimote") to work in Real World Fly Fishing, and today I've got a prototype working. If you like fly fishing with a joystick, you'll love using the Wii controller.

For anyone unfamiliar with the Nintendo Wii, it's a video game console with a really revolutionary controller. The Wii remote is wireless, about the size of the cork grip on a fly rod handle. 8) As you move it around in the air it senses the angle that it's held, how fast it's being accelerated, etc. On the Nintendo console you can use it to swing a baseball bat or tennis racquet, golf club, etc. By giving your wrist a twist as you release a bowling ball you can put a spin on it. In short, they've made video games a whole lot of fun, easier and more intuitive, even for people who don't usually play them.

Of course every angler who experiences the Wii starts dreaming of what a fishing game would be like. Imagine a joystick with no base- you just hold the stick which isn't attached to anything, and treat it like the handle of your fishing rod. There is a version of a Rapala game for the Wii, but from reviews I've seen it sounds it was a poor game made for other systems and the Wii version isn't any better (one review gave it 3.0 out of 10).

The good news is the Wii's amazing remote control is a bluetooth device. That means that with the right device driver and a bluetooh-enabled PC, the remote could work with any PC software. A clever programmer developed a flexible driver system called GlovePIE, which can read the input Wii remote and use it to emulate a mouse or joystick. I've been working on a custom GlovePIE script to work with RWFF, and it's working quite well now.

So this is a call for beta testers - I'd like a few more people to try this out before I include this in an update of the game. To be a tester you must have (or be willing to acquire):

1 -Real World Fly Fishing - Third Edition (full version)

2 - A Wii remote (available separately for $40-$50 USD, but a complete Wii system is a great buy for $250)

3 - A bluetooth-enabled computer (you can get a USB adapter for about $30 to add bluetooth to your computer if you have an available USB 2.0 port)

If you have all of the above (or can get it) and would like to try this out, please send me an e-mail at paul@pishtech.com and I'll get you some files you'll need.

Paul

PS - Some links:
The bluetooth adapter I use is available here: http://us.kensington.com/html/9403.html
GlovePIE is available here: http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie_download

"Nintendo" and "Wii" are trademarks of Nintendo. Pishtech does not claim and does not intend to imply any endorsement, sponsorship or other affiliate with Nintendo. We just think they've created an awesome line of products.
paul
Site Admin

Wii tester

Postby oppimax » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:40 am

Hi Paul,
great idea! :D
I can't imagine how fun could be it with RWFF!
Ciao
Massimo :lol:
oppimax

Postby kerrye » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:34 pm

E-mail sent. Hardware ordered. :!: :!: :D :D :D
A man should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing.
kerrye

Postby Fishin Musician » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:08 pm

Hi Paul,
I just picked up the Bluetooth adaptor and Wiimote and sent you an email, can't wait to get started as a beta tester.
Hey Kerrye - this sounds even better then the force feedback joystick.
Fishin Musician

Wiimote

Postby kerrye » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:55 am

Ain't dat de truth! :D
A man should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing.
kerrye

Re: Fly fishing with the Nintendo Wii controller

Postby sheela154 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:14 am

I just picked up the Bluetooth adaptor and Wii mote and sent you an email, can't wait to get started as a beta tester.
Hey Kerrye - this sounds even better then the force feedback joystick.
sheela154

Postby richwest » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:39 am

Hi guys,

Count me in, I've just been waiting for this to happen!!!

Thanks Paul, I will join in the testing.
My son has a Wii with 3 remotes, he will be missing 1 now.

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby paul » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:30 am

Sorry, but the post seeking beta testers was 2 years old, so I'm not taking any beta testers now. The beta testing showed that the setup was too complicated and it worked too inconsistently to be worth supporting. I decided to wait until a wireless motion controller was available for the PC, which it now is. The Stix controller is very similar to the Wii remote and it is currently supported in RWFF and VRS. Last I checked they were available for under $20 on Amazon.com.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby kgrinda » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:55 pm

I have the Stix 200 controller for RWFF and it works great. It works a lot like the wii. I got my Stix 200 on Amazon for $4.00 . That included shipping!!
kgrinda

Postby barrycuda » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:10 pm

kgrinda wrote:I have the Stix 200 controller for RWFF and it works great. It works a lot like the wii. I got my Stix 200 on Amazon for $4.00 . That included shipping!!

I have just read a review of the said stix 200, it was not at all favourable in respect of the games it was tested on. Maybe for the use that rwff requires it is perfect?

That said, it is something I would have to try! :lol:
barrycuda

Postby paleodust » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:16 am

Awesome! :P
paleodust

Postby babbisha » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:30 am

How do you get the passwaord for the nintendo wii to connect to the internet? When your setting up the nintendo wii how do you get the password or key for you to enable to get on the internet.
Last edited by babbisha on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
babbisha

Postby paul » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:25 am

I never used the internet with the Wii. It does require a bluetooth pairing to talk to the computer. I don't recall offhand the passkey used, but it seems that may have been in the GlovePIE documentation.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby kgrinda » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:22 am

babbisha wrote:How do you get the passwaord for the nintendo wii to connect to the internet? When your setting up the nintendo wii how do you get the password or key for you to enable to get on the internet.

If I'm not mistaken, to get the Wii to connect to the internet you need two things: 1 a wireless router (set in the Wii Settings) 2. download the Opera browser which may or may not cost. If it does; it use to be 500 points. You can buy a 2000 point card for around $20.00 dollars. But for now I think they(Wii) are giving it away for free. Good luck!
kgrinda

Postby paleodust » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:36 pm

Paul,

Could you make it work with the new Wii Motion Plus controller? It's more precise than the original Wii Remote (via an add-on component).
paleodust

Next

Return to Real World Fly Fishing