Unlandable fish still a problem!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Unlandable fish still a problem!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi All:

I just upgraded to the new V.127. All was fine and verification did not show any errors. Great! :P I then tried Alvaro's new challenge in Expert Mode. Not a lot moving on the surface for a long time. Then I hooked into a very good fish and after a while, the fish went to the top of the scene and just sat on the bottom, I was down to my backing and the fish just cannot be reeled in. Same problems as before on some of the outings with large fish. I finally had to break it off. Too bad the V.127 did not take care of this annoyance. :oops: Please let me know if have this very same problem.

The interesting thing is, in Barns' challenges you pray that you don't hook into any small fish. But in this outing you don't want to hook into a large one or you will get points deducted from the total score as surely you will lose your fly when you break the fish off. Will explore some more and see what happens. :P :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Unlandable fish still a problem!

Postby paul » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:34 pm

I'll have to try some testing on that outing. I think the issue is that we're getting into fish that are more powerful than the game was ever designed to deal with, or fish that are potenially just too powerful for even a 0X leader and 12 weight rod. Also with custom outings it's possible to have areas that can trap a fish. The change in update 127 should keep fish from going off the side of the screen and getting stuck that way, which a number of people had reported. A fish may still head for the deepest or farthest poinnt it can find and if it's simply too strong to move it may settle in there. Likewise if a fish could get behind a rock or reef, then it can be stuck until you let it move elsewhere, but again if the spot its in is where it feels safest it may not want to move.

Also keep in mind that we may have situations where we are realistically simulating a fish that is simply far stronger than the tackle. I've experienced that in the real world, with fish that were simply too strong to budge once they've settled in. I'm thinking of a catfish (presumably) I once hooked on an ultralight with 4 pound test. The area is known for some catfish over 50 pounds, but even a 25 pounder could have done whatever it liked and mostly ignored my efforts to control it. After 15 minutes the line broke from scraping on the bottom. If you can't budge a big fish off the bottom where it's resting you can't do much to tire it out either. When a huge fish is on the move you have at least some opportunity to direct it, causing it to turn somewhat to direct it at least partially closer to you, and it will also tire out at least a little bit. When I fought a 12 foot sturgeon on 80 pound test line nothing I could do would significanty pull the mass of fish towards me, but at times I could turn it's head and then it's own motion brought it closer to the boat.

What I think I'll do about it is add some extra incentive for the fish to keep on the move. Hopefully that will keep a fish from staying anywhere very long, even if it's the deepest, safest place around. That should at least give you a chance to make progress on it and wear it down. Another possibility is to add some heavier leaders. Maybe we need something with a 30 or 50 pound tippet for dealing with the strongest fish. That would make some of the giants more catchable, but you'd want to avoid using it for anything smaller or it would take the challenge out of the fight.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Unlandable fish still a problem!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Paul:

Thanks for shedding some light on the situation when the larger fish could not be landed. Everything you have said made a lot of sense both in the virtual world as well as in a live fishing situation. I have hooked some large fish that, inspite of fairly heavy tackle, it just ignored the drag and my presence and went away right to the end of the backing and then broke off. I have had to just point the rod straight at the fish so the line would break and not the rod. I have seen some very expensive and heavy rods blow up this way before. These large fish can be extremely powerful. :P :P

I think we may have gone overboard a little with the size of the fish in our recent outings. :P :P There is no denying that catching a large fish is exciting and rewarding, both in the real and virtual world. I think the big fish is addictive and here to stay. :lol: :lol: Some months ago I asked for a heavier leader and maybe this time we will get one. In the fishing challenges, do we get a higher "skill" point for using a smaller leader? It takes much longer to land the same large fish on, say a 4x leader than 0x leader. There is also a time bonus in the challenges. Seems there should be some compensation for using lighter tackle and leader as it will take much longer to land these large fish, and in doing so, one might lose his time bonus.

It is gratifying to see some truly beautiful and excellent outings by SW, Alvaro, Barns and great new fish creation by Richard. We have never had so many interesting and varied style of outings before. It is like having ten great movies all playing at the same time in town. It is hard to decide which one to go to.

Thanks for coming to our rescue and to shed some light on the big fish landing problems. We might see some fantastic scores posted once we are able to land the bigger fish. :P :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing