Creation of New Outing

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Creation of New Outing

Postby Scottish Warrior » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:09 am

Dear Fisherfolk, I was so interested in your idea for an outing competition that I have a proposal for you, I have just started to create a 49 site outing called Sw Lakes 5 which I could make in a similar fashion as Sw Alaska 2, which you seemed to enjoy, apart from the rogue fish which are obviously set at maximum size, to hopefully stop this why don't you discuss the maximum size for the following species which I will include in the outing ie. Sturgeon max is 65", Rainbow Trout max is 36", Brown Trout max is 30", Wild Carp max is 47", Zander max is 47", these figures come from the species list in the clubhouse and it seems that the fish using the max as 65" are sometimes the rogue, so set the limit to say 50", then agree the maximum amount of fish I can use ie say only 3 Sturgeon in the complete challenge outing, but at least 1 Rainbow, 1 Zander, 1 Wild Carp, 3 Brown Trout, in each of the others, that way you will all have an equal chance of catching/ landing the fish depending on which fly/food you select, I could include a mayfly as an attractor to show movement on the surface, but any fish caught with this fly would not count on the score card, it would only be as a guide to where the fish may be, this was only an idea and I would like your feedback as you will probably have more ideas than this one, don't worry though I will still build this outing as normal though it may take a while. Regards and Tight Lines To All .Martin
I am so glad to be part of this
Scottish Warrior

Re: Creation of New Outing

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi Martin:

Thanks for offering to create an outing for our friendly contest. These are my thoughts on the proposed outing:

1) I think 49 sites is too large for an outing. Maybe it can be split into two outings instead?

2)Limiting the size and number of fish per scene is a good idea. Making the fish more selective is also a good idea. I would like to propose that the winner of the contest will be determined by the total length of the species that they caught at the end of the contest. Instead of who caught the biggest fish. This way everyone will concentrate on catching the biggest fish that they can in each specie, rather than just go hunting for the largest Sturgeons.

3)I propose that only custom flies may be used in the contest. This way everyone will come up with his own custom flies,this will greatly add to design and originality. It will be fun to see what people can come up with to catch these "difficult" fish.

4)I think the "guess the fly" is a great feature and great fun for all fishers. Floating mayfly to indicate location of fish is a great idea.

We all had a lot of fun fishing Richard's Redfish Outing. The outing was not very large, only ten scenes but the number of fish were few and they were very very selective. I think Richard, Barns, Alvaro and myself all came up with out own version of "magic" flies and they were very different in design and color. We had to work really hard to come up with the right fly, corrct strategy and fished in all the right places to have a chance at catching a 32 inch red fish. It was a very hectic and exciting week. :D :D

I am sure your new outing will be another "Oh My God" kind of experience. :P :P Just can't wait to see what you have come up with next! I hope others will echo their own ideas and views on this.

Thanks SW, it will be a lot of fun!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Scottish Warrior » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi Stanley, I have read your comments and although the whole outing would consist of 49 sites not all of them would be Challenge Sites, maybe 24 or 25 to give all fisherfolk the chance to catch some of the larger species and if it was open to all members, then you would all have to agree at which level the contest was fished, ie Beginner , Intermediate or Expert to make it fair for all, as the newer members to the forum may not have fished many outings in Expert mode, maybe Richard or Paul could come up with a fairer way so that all who participate will feel that they have as good a chance to win as other members who have been fishing for a long time, I don't know I am only throwing in a few ideas to stimulate interest in the competition to get as many members new or old to participate in something different on the forum.
Regards Martin.
I am so glad to be part of this
Scottish Warrior

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi Martin:

Sounds good! I am all for the idea of creating an outing and competition for ALL the members, new and old, novice and experienced. I think Richard mentioned something about a contest a while ago and also some basic rules and regulations in this forum before. Would love to hear his ideas. With Barns around we may need to create a "Professional" category just for him. Unless his doctor decides to send him back to work! LOL :D :D :D Just kidding, of course! This guy Barns is a great fisherman!

I think now would be a good time to stage some kind of contest as the weather is still pretty bad and we are all getting cabin fever. When things warm up a bit everyone will be going outdoors to do what they love the most and will be spending less time at the computer. :D :D

Just fished your new St. Margaret River outing for about half an hour. Caught a nice Queenie. Looks like another winner from the SW workshop! :D :D

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby richwest » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:45 am

Hi guys,

Just a short hop in, for I'm very busy on your behalf.

Contest can be held in a variety of ways.

- You can fish challenges and compare scores after closing day.
- You can fis for specific species and compare sizes.
- You can put up a target-score for just one outing, first to reach exact target wins
- same as above for different challenges added scores, limmited by the number of entries
etc, etc.

Also see my post about my ideas for a very big contest, some weeks ago.

Keep in mind, it will be a lot of work to check the validation of the scores, I know, I'm checking them all in behalf of the trophy list.
So don't just think about the fun of a contest, but also about the big amount of work, it will give.

Regards Richard

By the way, I like the idea, so if I can help, count me in.
richwest

Return to Real World Fly Fishing